But the articles gave me something to chew on. One of the authors mentioned the concepts of super librarians, and of collecting librarians with specialized research skills for each type of research a patron would do. I like that! Librarians as a kind of research coaches. Huh.
The expert who discussed the "icebergs" gave me some concepts to consider. I especially stopped at the "just in case" collection. I'm old enough that I still do this, particularly when I'm weeding: I shouldn't get rid of that history book from the 1950's. Up to that point the info was valid. I may need it just in case..... And so the old book with the dull cover sits on the shelf and makes all the other books on the shelf look less appealing. Not good for the 21st century student patron.
I'm glad I'm doing this exercise. With each topic I'm a little less Librarian 1.0 and a little more Librarian 2.0.
No comments:
Post a Comment