Thursday, February 19, 2009

Wikis (Lesson #16)

This afternoon I investigated a few wiki sites.  I found Library Success to be a wonderful treasure trove of information for librarians.  I clicked around many of the topics, then found wikis embedded in wikis.  (I actually lost my way a few times and had to go back to the beginning to figure out where I was.)  If I was a new librarian I would probably be checking that particular wiki regularly, like some kind of librarian's bible!  Since I'm closer to retirement, I need encouragement to do some tasks I don't do as often as I should; one post recommended weeding 15 minutes each day just to keep the collection fresh and keep the librarian conscious of the collection's strengths and flaws.  Not a bad idea.....

I also looked at Sample School wiki.  There I found an idea for a class assignment wiki for an AP class that was so good that I immediately emailed the page to the teachers in my school's history and English departments.

I occasionally use Wikipedia when I need some basic background information on particularly unusual topics, but I caution students about using it.  This particular Web 2.0 assignment helped me see the value of wikis in a library setting.  Fortunately, I don't have to "invent" a wiki for favorite books in my library; we have Follett's Destiny which now gives patrons the opportunity to write reviews for books.  But I'm willing to bet that as I let this wiki concept roll around in the juices of my brain I'll decide to add a wiki to my teacher page or my school library webpage.  Anything that gives kids (and staff!) a sense of ownership in their school library is something to give a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment